Fun at Disneyland

Fun at Disneyland

Thursday, December 29, 2011

What is IT?

I was just thinking today about how much Autism Spectrum behavior I see in Blake - singing songs and substituting words (seems like he's trying to be annoying, but I don't think he has much control), MAJOR ADHD symptoms, often unable to sit still, doesn't ride a bike well (didn't take off training wheels until age 9), can't coordinate pumping legs on swings, rages, argues incessantly, BUT BUT BUT he is social, even seeks out people, he generally acts appropriately about other kids. He doesn't stand out at all as being different, maybe a bit bossy but nothing major. He doesn't have the flat speech, and the general lack of coordination. He is generally a skilled athlete (except for biking and swinging!)  Am I crazy for thinking it could be Aspergers? He does stim. Both finger movements and constantly throwing things up in the air and catching them. He has a lot of sensory issues, and struggles with fine motor; though I know both are seen in both Bipolar and ASD.

Having an HMO like Kaiser doesn't exactly give me access to the type of cutting edge doctor that will tell the difference. I want them to pay for out of network evaluation, but don't even know where to begin. Ultimately, I'd like OT for sensory seeking and fine motor and PT for the swinging and other movement. Also having some in-home therapy services would be fantastic. I don't even know where to begin to get these type of services.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't been reading blogs for a while - too busy, too caught up in our own stuff. But I'm sorry to hear about/read about what you have been going through. I hope you find sunshine on the other end of the tunnel in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! And, the title says it all....I have a son and hubby who are ADHD and son is also Bipolar,ODD,OCD.. daughter has learning disability....never a dull moment. I recently started blogging and am now looking for mom blogs with similar issues! I am now following you....please come on over and check me out http://wts2011.blogspot.com/
    Thank you!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. We're hanging in there. Things are a lot easier when we're not dealing with reactions to meds! I have a lot of hope not matter what the diagnosis.

    Jo Jo - I will check out your blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I just read your blog "cover to cover" and was wondering how things are going now for you and your children. If you have any desire to do so, it would be great to read an update!

    Wishing you and your kids all the best,
    Leeann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leeann,
      Thanks for reading. Funny, we're going this morning for an autism evul. through our HMO, Kaiser. Blake is doing OK. As school is getting more difficult and requiring more of the higher level thinking, he's having a hard time. Still doesn't handle frustration well at all. But he has friends and has not physically hurt me or anyone else in a very long time. He is playing flag football and seems to like it. Our other son is doing very well. His ADHD is fairly well controlled with meds and he had joined a swim team and found his passion. I love to see it. Me? I am the lead librarian at my boys' school and I LOVE it. It's very rewarding and good for my own mental health. I will do a full update here sometime soon...hopefully when today's results come in. :) Have a good one.

      Delete